Are you tired of spending money on haircuts? Learn how to cut men’s hair with scissors and become your own personal barber.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process step by step.
First, gather the necessary tools, prepare the hair, and start trimming with confidence.
With a little practice, you’ll be able to achieve professional-looking results right in the comfort of your own home.
So grab your scissors and let’s get started!
- Gather the necessary tools such as hair cutting scissors, a fine-toothed comb, a spray bottle filled with water, and a handheld mirror.
- Prepare the hair for cutting by detangling it, sectioning it into manageable parts, and deciding whether to cut it wet or dry.
- Cut the back and sides by creating a clean and even base, determining the desired length, blending the hair, and cleaning up the neckline and sideburns.
- Trim the top by starting with clean, dry hair, using high-quality scissors, sectioning the hair, trimming small sections at a time, and blending the sides and top.
Gather the Necessary Tools
What tools do you need to gather in order to cut men’s hair with scissors?
When it comes to cutting men’s hair with scissors, having the right tools is essential.
To start, you’ll need a good pair of hair cutting scissors. Look for ones that are specifically designed for cutting hair, as they’ve sharp blades and a comfortable grip.
Additionally, you’ll need a fine-toothed comb to help section and control the hair while cutting. A spray bottle filled with water will also come in handy to dampen the hair and make it easier to work with.
Furthermore, having a handheld mirror is crucial, as it allows you to see the back of the head while cutting. This will ensure a more precise and even haircut.
Another important tool to have is a cape or a towel to drape around the client’s shoulders to catch the falling hair. This will make the clean-up process much easier.
Lastly, don’t forget to have a clean towel nearby to wipe your hands and scissors during the haircut.
Prepare the Hair for Cutting
To prepare the hair for cutting, start by detangling it using a wide-toothed comb or your fingers.
Then, section the hair into manageable parts using clips or hair ties.
Now, the question is whether to cut the hair wet or dry.
Let’s discuss these points further.
Detangling and Sectioning Hair
Start by carefully combing through the hair to remove any knots or tangles. This step is crucial in detangling the hair and ensuring an even cut. Use a wide-toothed comb or a detangling brush to gently work through any snarls. Take your time and be gentle to avoid causing any discomfort or pain.
After detangling, it’s important to section the hair to make it easier to cut. This helps ensure that you achieve a balanced and consistent haircut. To section the hair, use clips or hair ties to divide it into manageable sections. This allows you to focus on one area at a time and prevents any hair from getting in the way.
Here is a table that shows a simple method for sectioning the hair:
|Top||The hair on the top of the head, from the front to the crown.|
|Sides||The hair on the sides of the head, from the temples to the ears.|
|Back||The hair at the back of the head, from the crown to the nape of the neck.|
Wet or Dry Hair?
After detangling and sectioning the hair, you can now determine whether to work with wet or dry hair for the cutting process. Both options have their advantages, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference and the desired outcome.
Cutting wet hair allows for a more precise and controlled cut, as the hair is easier to manipulate and less likely to move around. Wet hair also tends to lay flatter, making it easier to see the natural growth patterns and identify any uneven sections.
On the other hand, cutting dry hair gives you a better idea of the final result, as you can see how the hair will actually look when styled. Dry cutting is also ideal for creating texture and removing bulk.
Consider the hairstyle and your comfort level to decide whether you want to work with wet or dry hair.
Start With the Back and Sides
Begin by combing the hair on the back and sides of your head. This is an important step in any haircut as it helps to create a clean and even base. Use a wide-toothed comb to gently detangle any knots or tangles. Once the hair is free of knots, you can start cutting.
To ensure a precise and symmetrical cut, it can be helpful to use a mirror or have someone assist you. Here is a simple guide to cutting the back and sides of your hair:
|1||Start with the back of your head. Using your fingers as a guide, determine the desired length and hold the hair between your index and middle fingers. Cut the hair in a straight line, working from the bottom up. Repeat this process for the sides of your head.|
|2||Blend the hair between the back and sides. Comb the hair where the back and sides meet and hold it between your fingers. Use a scissor over comb technique to blend the two sections seamlessly.|
|3||Check for any uneven areas or longer strands. Comb through the hair again and make any necessary adjustments. Remember to take your time and be mindful of the desired length.|
|4||Clean up the neckline and sideburns. Using a trimmer or scissors, carefully trim any excess hair along the neckline and sideburns to create a clean and polished look.|
Trim the Top
Now, move on to trimming the top of your hair for a well-balanced and polished look. This step is crucial in achieving a professional haircut. Here are some tips to help you master the art of trimming the top:
- Start with clean, dry hair: Before you begin, make sure your hair is clean and dry. Wet hair can appear longer, and cutting it while wet may lead to an uneven result.
- Use the right scissors: Invest in a pair of high-quality haircutting scissors. These will provide better control and precision when cutting the top of your hair. Avoid using regular household scissors, as they can damage your hair.
- Section your hair: Divide your hair into manageable sections. This will make the trimming process easier and ensure an even cut. Use hair clips or hair ties to secure the sections you aren’t working on.
- Trim small sections at a time: Take small sections of hair and hold them between your fingers. Trim the ends using a gentle snipping motion. Remember to cut less than you think you need, as you can always trim more later.
- Blend the sides and the top: To create a seamless transition between the sides and the top, use your fingers as a guide to blend the two areas together. This will help achieve a natural and well-blended look.
- Check for symmetry: Regularly check your progress in the mirror to ensure symmetry. Compare both sides of your head and make any necessary adjustments.
- Take your time: Patience is key when trimming the top of your hair. Rushing can lead to mistakes and an uneven cut. Take breaks if needed and always strive for precision.
Blend the Different Sections
To achieve a seamless and well-blended haircut, continue by blending the different sections of your hair together. This step is crucial in creating a natural and polished look.
Begin by combing through your hair to ensure that there are no tangles or knots. Then, take small sections of hair from the top and sides and hold them between your fingers. Using your scissors, cut vertically into the hair, making small and quick snips. This technique helps to blend the different lengths of hair together, creating a smooth transition. Repeat this process throughout the different sections of your hair, always combing through the strands before cutting to ensure an even blend.
When blending the sections, it’s important to use caution and precision. Take your time and make small adjustments as needed. Remember that it’s better to take off less hair at first and gradually trim more if necessary. This will help to avoid any drastic changes or mistakes. Additionally, it’s a good idea to periodically step back and assess your progress. This will allow you to see if any areas need further blending or if the overall look is balanced.
As you blend the different sections, keep in mind the desired style and length of your haircut. If you’re going for a shorter style, you may want to focus on blending the sides and back with the top for a seamless finish. If you’re aiming for a longer style, you can focus on blending the layers together to create movement and texture.
Clean up the Neckline and Sideburns
To clean up the neckline and sideburns, comb through your hair to ensure that all the sections are well-blended together. This step is crucial in achieving a polished and professional look.
Here are three key tips to help you achieve a clean and sharp neckline and sideburns:
- Trimming the neckline: Start by combing your hair downwards and locating the natural hairline at the back of your neck. Using a pair of sharp scissors, carefully trim any hair that extends beyond this line. Make sure to follow the natural curve of your neckline for a clean and seamless finish.
- Creating neat sideburns: Comb your hair forward to expose your sideburns. Decide on the desired length and shape of your sideburns and use your scissors to carefully trim any excess hair. Remember to keep them symmetrical and in line with the rest of your hairstyle for a polished appearance.
- Blending the sideburns with the hair: To achieve a seamless transition between the sideburns and the rest of your hair, use your comb to blend them together. Comb the hair in front of your ears towards the back, gently blending the sideburns with the rest of your hairstyle. This will create a natural and well-groomed look.
Style the Finished Haircut
Once you have achieved a clean and sharp neckline and sideburns, it’s time to style your finished haircut. Styling your hair is an important step that can elevate your overall look and make you feel confident. There are various ways to style your hair, depending on your hair type and personal preference.
If you have short hair, you can use a styling product such as wax or pomade to add texture and hold to your hair. Take a small amount of product and rub it between your palms to warm it up. Then, run your hands through your hair, focusing on the front and crown area. Use your fingers to create a desired style, whether it’s a messy, textured look or a slicked-back style.
For those with medium-length hair, you have more options when it comes to styling. You can use a comb to create a parting and style your hair accordingly. If you want a more polished look, you can use a round brush and a blow dryer to add volume and shape to your hair. Alternatively, you can apply a styling cream or mousse to achieve a more natural and effortless look.
If you have long hair, you can experiment with different hairstyles such as a ponytail, bun, or half-up, half-down style. You can also use a styling product to add definition and control to your locks. For a sleek and polished look, you can straighten your hair using a flat iron.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Necessary Tools Needed to Cut Men’s Hair With Scissors?
To cut men’s hair with scissors, you’ll need a few necessary tools. These include a pair of sharp scissors, a comb, hair clippers, and a mirror for the person whose hair you’ll be cutting.
How Should I Prepare the Hair Before Starting the Cutting Process?
To prepare the hair before cutting, start by washing and drying it. Comb through to remove any tangles or knots. Section the hair and clip away the parts you’re not cutting. Now you’re ready to begin the cutting process!
What Is the Proper Technique to Start Cutting the Back and Sides of the Hair?
To start cutting the back and sides of the hair, position yourself behind the person. Use your scissors to trim small sections of hair, working from the bottom up. Remember to move slowly and be precise.
How Should I Trim the Top Section of the Hair to Achieve a Desired Style?
To achieve your desired style, start by sectioning the top of your hair and combing it straight up. Use your scissors to trim the ends, working from back to front, and taking small, even snips.
Can You Provide Tips on How to Clean up the Neckline and Sideburns for a Polished Finish?
To clean up the neckline and sideburns for a polished finish, start by combing the hair downwards and use scissors to trim any stray hairs. Be careful and go slowly to ensure a neat and professional look.
Cutting men’s hair with scissors can be a simple and cost-effective way to maintain a fresh look. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can achieve a well-groomed hairstyle from the comfort of your own home.
Remember to gather the necessary tools, prepare the hair properly, and take your time with each section. With a little practice, you’ll be able to achieve a stylish haircut that suits your individual taste and saves you money in the long run.